I need to begin at the begining for this story. So we will begin as I get ready for the long day ahead. I am stairing at the mirror thinking to myself, " hmm, GB wants to leave right now and I can not figure out the quickest way to make myself presentable." Well since my husband was being pushy I said what the heck. I went out without any make-up (no biggie) and without so much as brushing my hair. Let me tell you, it was a hot mess. To be honest, this really isn't a big deal for me cause back home I rarely get dolled up. However, as my husband likes to point out..so very often, in Italy, you dress up. Its true. These people don't go ANYWHERE not dressed to the 9s. Its weird and so not me, so usually I try not to embarrass my hubs. On this day he was ansy so my attitude was, well world this is me...if you don't like it, then don't look. Moving on..
So GB and I were wondering around the Duomo coveting and (non creepily) watching some tiny humans participate in what appeared to be the most awesome field day ever. Yes, I completely hearted field day when I was young. ANYWAYS, back on track, so there we were minding our own business when we were caught by one the Africons.... bracelet man.
Now, usually, those of you that know me best are aware of my overly enthusiastic love the those of the African culture. (when I was 3 all I wanted for my birthday was a black cabbage patch baby doll) Yes my mother bought it for and somewhere she has the most adorable picture of a 3 year old me dressed in a BYU cheer leading costume holding my precious little African baby.
Back to the bracelett fella. SOOOOO despite my love and adoration for this particular culture,these guys drive me NUTS. I can't stand them! I mean they are overly aggressive and constantly in your face trying to slap a hand woven bracelet on your wrist that they claim is "free". Really they are seeking donations to support Africa. AKA their drinking. I have been suckered on more than one occasion and have two bracelets on my wrist.
SO we begin to walk away and explain that we are not tourists but rather live here and I displayed my two bracelets to show I have already "supported" Africa...twice. So he gave up and just began to talk to GB....then he MADE MY DAY!!!! He said I was molto molto bella and that I looked like Angelina Jolie. GB replied with yes she is very beautiful and does sort of look like her. Lets be honest I look NOTHING like her. And while its true I find her morals to be far below par and her acting to be mediocre at best, I can not deny her beauty. I know I look nothing like her, but when someone tells you that you are beautiful (besides your husband who has to lie to you) and you resemble a celebrity, you don't argue. Bless you bracelet man, bless you. You kind kind soul. please take the entire contents of my wallet you glorious man. It made my day, I pulled off a compliment with ratty hair AND no make up. YAY me lol. So he just wanted a donation. Whatever.
Take a hint Gypsies, THATS how you get my money, tell me im pretty and shower me with compliments...cause goodness knows shoving a smelly torn up cup in my face while I swallow back my vomit is not going to get you anywhere
Saturday, April 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
HA HA HA HA! LOVED this post! And LOVED that I got to talk to you today! Miss ya!
ReplyDeleteI just died laughing! And I understand exactly where you are coming from! But please, you are beautiful! And I had to tell Tommy that I always thought you looked nicer than I did....oh italy and your good dressing ways..they should get over themselves!
ReplyDeleteJESS! I was SO happy I finally got to talk to you!!!!! I flippen miss you
ReplyDeleteAbby! I miss you! I need you my friend :) You are the only one who truly understands what this post is :) and I did NOT always look nicer than you missy! I always had to try EXTRA hard to keep up with you. True story! MIss you!